Telling Someone to Smile will Never Make Them Happy
Smile! What’s wrong? Are you okay? What happened?
I don’t walk around with a smile pasted on because:
- I feel phony wearing a fake smile
- I’m not high
- I’m not secretly plotting your demise and smiling about it
- I am plotting your demise (and smiling to myself)
- I’m thinking
- I’m very content on the inside, and that doesn’t require smiling on the outside
- I’m tired
- I don’t like you
- pretending to like you makes my face hurt
- I’m heavily medicated
- I am not awake yet
- I am desperately unhappy and just waiting for you to tell me to smile because that will fix me right up!
Well, you get the point.
There is nothing “wrong” with me, I am okay and nothing happened. These questions imply that something is wrong with my face. How rude! I earned this face, the hard way…..endless worry and constant thinking. I smile when I feel like it. Deal with it. If one more person tells me to smile, I will spontaneously combust.
The truth is that years of anxious thoughts have left me with the frown lines that cause Resting Bitch Face. So when I am at peace, and all is well, my face betrays me and I look unhappy. It’s just my face! Lots of things can cause frown lines to appear, such as:
- bright sun or lights
- actually being a bitch or a jackass
If you see someone walking around smiling for no reason, be afraid. Something is wrong, they are not okay, and something is going to happen. Run!